Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Withholding money by ICC will damage SL Cricket says SLC

Sri Lanka’s cricket authority said Tuesday it is shocked by the governing body ICC’s decision to withhold a financial grant because of a dispute over the government’s appointment of an interim committee to run the sport in the country instead of holding an election.

Sri Lanka Cricket Chief Executive Office Ashley de Silva said in a letter to International Cricket Council’s Chief Executive David Richardson that withholding the funds will cause grave damage to cricket in Sri Lanka. He said the funds were due from last year’s World T20 championship and this year’s World Cup and withholding them was illegal and a breach of agreements between the two bodies.

Sri Lanka’s government appointed the committee saying it wants to investigate corruption allegations against the previous administration.

SLC is also shocked by the purported decision said to have been suddenly taken to "withhold" monies which are now lawfully due and payable by ICC to SLC by way of the Financial  Distributions for the T20 World Cup 2014 and the World Cup 2015. We would point out that  these are monies which were due and payable by ICC to SLC from long prior to the appointment  of the Interim Committee. Further, these are monies which are payable by ICC to SLC,  irrespective of the body which is managing SLC for the time being.
SLC regrets to state that, the purported sudden decision to "withhold" these monies which are legitimately due to SLC for past Events, is in breach of the Agreements between SLC and ICC and is without lawful authority and SLC urges ICC to release these monies without delay. SLC reminds ICC that these monies are lawfully due and payable to SLC and that the arbitrary and unlawful withholding of these monies will cause grave damage to Cricket in Sri Lanka.
As ICC's recent actions would gravely disrupt Cricket in Sri Lanka, SLC urges ICC to urgently obtain whatever information that may be programmes for Cricket in Sri Lanka.