(Ministry of Sports Sri Lanka, 2012) Ministry of Sports denies the allegations of the media over the officials at the London Olympic games
The Ministry of Sports denying the allegation made by several media organizations on the news of 23 officials for 07 sports personnel at the 30th Olympic Games 2012 in London said that Ministry of Sports has granted approval for nine officials to represent the London Olympic Games.
Accordingly, a letter dated 11.07.2012 'NOC/3/56' under the signature of the Secretary of the National Olympic Committee, Maxwell De Silva, 07 sportsmen and women in addition to the 09 officials were given approval to participate at the London Olympic Games.
The selection of the sports personnel and the officials for the Olympic Games was handled by the National Olympic Committee, the Ministry said.
The Ministry further said that only Minister of Sports Mahindananda Aluthgamage, Director General of Department of Sports development, Ranjani Jayakody and the Director General of Institute if Sports Medicine Prof. Arjuna De Silva represented the Ministry of Sports at this occasion in addition to the said sports personnel and the officials.
The Names of the sports personnel as follows
1. Anuradha Indrajith Cooray - Athletics
2. Christine Sonali Merrill - Athletics
3. Niluka Karunaratne - Badminton
4. Thilini Jayasinghe - Badminton
5. Heshan Unamboowe - Swimming
6. Reshika Udugampola - Swimming
7. Mangala Samarakoon - Shooting
The Names of the Officials as follows
1. Mr. Deva Henry - Chief of the Mission
2. Mr. Nishanthe Piyasena - Admin Assistant
3. Mr. Rohan De Silva - Team Manager Badminton
4. Rear Admiral Shemal Fernando - Team Manager Athletics
5. Mr. Samantha Wickramasinghe - Team Manager Swimming
The Names of the NOC officials
1. Mr. Hemasiri Fernando - President, NOC Sri Lanka
2. Mr. Maxwell De Silva - Secretary, NOC Sri Lanka