Twenty 20 (T20) World Cricket Championship in Sri Lanka in September
- In terms of the agreement already reached with the International Cricket Council (ICC), Twenty - Twenty (T/20) World Cricket Championship is scheduled to be held in Sri Lanka around September/October 2012 and 12 Member countries are expected to take part.
- There will be 20 teams comprising both males and females and altogether 52 matches will be played in the tournament.
- The Minister of Sports Mr. Mahindananda Aluthgamage informed the Cabinet that the ICC would provide a direct grant of US $ 9.4 million to Sri Lanka as expenses of hosting the tournament in addition to another US $ 30 million, the ICC expects to spend in Sri Lanka for the tournament.
- Since this will be an ideal opportunity for Sri Lanka to promote country’s image, a joint effort will be taken by the Sri Lanka Tourist Board, Hotels Corporation and the BoI coming under the Ministry of Economic Development and also the ministry of National Heritage to effect suitable promotional activities to develop cultural and tourist attractions.
- The proposal made by Mr. Mahindananda Aluthgamage, Minister of Sports to proceed with the programme of work, was approved by the Cabinet.
Cabinet Press release - Derana News